Friday, November 4, 2011

Play

INT. SCENE – DESCRIPTION
     (Tom was coming back from “the movies” late at night. As he was arriving stumbling to the front of his home Laura opens the door dressed in her nightgown. He is wearing a scarf and is holding a liquor bottle. Laura helps him move from the front door to the couch.)
Laura
Tom where have you been? It’s terribly late.
Tom
At the movies.
Laura
(Laura helping Tom remove his shoes. Tom dazed from the alcohol)
For so long?
Tom
Laura haven’t you ever asked yourself why were you born the way you were born?
Laura
I never really thought of it, mother never liked to talk about my disability so I just ignored it and shut it away like skeletons in a closet. Tom what is that around your neck, is that one of mother’s scarfs she was given from one of her many gentlemen callers?
Tom
Of course not but in all honesty I wouldn’t mind it coming from a gentlemen caller.
Laura
What?
(Tom unties the scarf from his neck and while holding it looks at Laura)

Tom
Laura haven’t you ever wished you could be who you really wanted to be? There was a big stage show where a magician performed many wonderful tricks. He poured water from one pitcher to another and turned it into wine then into beer and finally whiskey. Afterwards, He needed a volunteer to make it disappear and I offered to help.
Laura
(Laura puts the scarf down)
What do you want to be, Tom?
Tom
(Taking a deep breath)
Myself. Not a working bee but the real me. For me this scarf is like the unicorn to you. It’s beautiful and one of a kind.
Tom
(Laying back in the couch closing his eyes as laura pulls the blanket to cover him)
Laura I have tricks in my pockets, I have things up my sleeve, but I am the opposite of a magician, I am not what you see.

1 comment: